Friday, May 27, 2011

Česky

As you might have read in my introduction post, I am planning on studying abroad in the Czech Republic next spring.  One of the reasons I decided to make this blog was to document my preparation process, as well as my adventures once I get there.  At the moment, I haven't done a whole lot of preparation.  I won't be able to apply for another couple of months.  However, I have been trying to learn some Czech.

I am figuring out that learning Czech is NOT like learning French or Spanish.  The grammar is WAY more complex and it doesn't help that there is nowhere for me to take Czech classes, let alone practice with a native speaker.  When I first set out to learn, I was relying on random YouTube videos and grammar sites.  Though some of the videos did help me learn some of the basics (Hello, How are you, etc.), there wasn't much to go off of as far as grammar is concerned.

And then I discovered Livemocha.  It is a free language learning website and it is AWESOME.  The lessons involve reading, speaking, writing, and listening, all of which are essential to learning a language.  The best part is that you can submit your writing and speaking practices onto the website to be reviewed by native speakers.  The only downside is that the lessons don't really explain the grammar...they just kind of expect you to figure it out by watching the patterns.  Nonetheless, I highly recommend this website to anyone thinking about learning a language.  It's also a good resource for anyone going into TESOL or ESL because you can give feedback on the English submissions. 

I am hoping that my Czech will at least be able to get me around once I get there.  I don't expect to be carrying on elaborate conversations.  I'm mostly going for the practical stuff, like ordering food and asking for directions.  Though most of my program is taught in English (I am doing a TESOL program), there is also an opportunity to take Czech lessons, which I most certainly will take advantage of.  Maybe after I spend a semester there I'll be able to have a conversation.  I certainly hope so.

For now, it looks like greetings and numbers will have to do.

Dobrou noc!

No comments:

Post a Comment