Thursday, May 26, 2011

Salutations

Hello!  My name is Brittany, and since I decided to start this blog, I figured I might as well tell you a bit about myself.  Firstly, I come from Kansas.  I do not live on a farm, my name is not Dorothy (see above), and I do not have a dog named Toto.  Lets just get those stereotypes out of the way now.  Living in a small town in Kansas certainly has its perks; it's cheap, there's virtually no traffic, it's usually pretty safe, and people are generally friendly here.  Oh, and the barbecue.  I can't forget the barbecue. 

However, overall, it's really not my cup of tea and I look forward to the day I can leave here forever.  Again, not that it's a terrible place...it's just not for me.  There is a general closed mindedness here that I am not a fan of and it's mostly a cultural wasteland.  Unless you want to drive to Kansas City, there's not much to do.  Also, if you have been reading the news, you'll know that a Midwestern tornado can destroy your life in minutes.  In fact, Joplin, MO (which has been devastated by a tornado) is only 40 minutes away from my  hometown.  Scary to think about.

On a much happier note, I will be starting my third year of college in the fall.  I am working on my BSE in French and an endorsement in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages---possibly the worst acronym ever.  TEFL makes more sense to me.)  Learning language is my passion and my eventual goal is to move overseas to teach English or French.  I'm so excited to travel.  I'm not even picky about my destination.  With the exception of certain areas in Africa and the Middle East, I don't care where I end up.  I just want to go.

As for now, I am preparing to work for an ESL summer camp and start applying to study abroad at Masaryk University in the Czech Republic next spring.  Though I often tell myself that I wish I could just graduate tomorrow, I know that there are experiences out there for me right now that I don't want to miss out on.

No comments:

Post a Comment