Friday, June 17, 2011

Nostalgia

I'm not sure why, but summer always makes me feel nostalgic.  Perhaps it's because summer is always the time where you make the most memories...not that you can't do that during school, but it's easy for school days and even years to blend together because it's so routine.  Summer's not quite like that.  Though I hate summer weather (way too hot), I love having the break, and I think maybe it's the lack of a break that's getting to me. 

There are so many wonderful things I associate with summer:  cookout food, last minute plans, hanging out with friends, visiting family, sundresses, Tropical Sno (look it up if you don't know what it is...it will change your life)...and most of all, just not being stressed out.  This summer won't be like that...I made a huge committment, and though I'm having a lot of fun, it gets to me every now and then.  There are times when all I want to do is hang out in my apartment and watch back to back episodes of The Office or Modern Family...and then I realize that I can't.  I never realized how much I took the freedom to do what I want for granted.    

What really brought all this about was watching the trailer for the upcoming Harry Potter movie.  I know that seems odd, but it reminded me of last summer, when Dakota and I first moved here. I reread the entire Harry Potter series.  It was amazing...though when I was finished, I felt a little sad because I had to face the fact that the wizarding world does not exist.  I realized this morning that that's what I really want right now...a temporary escape, if only for a little while. 

I've even felt a little homesick...as much as I don't like my hometown, the summers there were always wonderful.  I could really go for some Tropical Sno right about now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment