Sunday, June 26, 2011

Week Three

I'm surprised it's been three weeks already.  It seems like I just posted about the second week.  O.o  Time flies when you're busy.  It's been a pretty normal week, I suppose.  I guess I haven't explained my daily routine yet. 

I get up at around 6:30 every morning.  We all go to breakfast at 7:15 to eat some sub-par cafeteria food.  The students go to class at 8:00 and I go to the International Office to work the front desk.  At noon, I leave the office to eat lunch with the students, and then I go back and work until 3:00.  3:00 is such a glorious time of day...I don't have to be back until 5:00, so this is when I go to my apartment and hang out with Dakota for awhile.  Unfortunately, he has to be at work at 4:30, so I don't get to take advantage of the whole 2 hours.  : (  We all eat dinner and then head back to the dorms where we hang out until study hall.  I only have to run study hall on Mondays and Wednesdays, so I get a break every other evening (again, to spend with Dakota.)  It's usually from 7:00 to 8:30.  After that, we just hang out in the dorms.  That's when I usually take the time to browse around the internet, Skype with Dakota, or just relax.  I usually crash around midnight.  Rinse.  Repeat.  At least Monday through Thursday.

Fridays are typically free days.  We all just hang out in the dorms and relax.  Saturdays are activity days.  This weekend we went to a baseball game:  Chicago Cubs vs. Kansas City Royals.  I'm not a sports fan, but it actually wasn't too bad.  I at least somewhat understand the rules of baseball.  I also tried a ballpark hot dog called "El Diablo."  It had chili, hot sauce, jalepenos, chili powder, and pico on it.  Mmmmmmmmmmmm.  I'm not normally a fan of hot dogs, but this one was pretty good.  I think the students really enjoyed it...especially when they saw Kosuke Fukudome on the screen when he went up to bat.  They were thrilled to see a Japanese baseball player. 

Before the game, we went to the mall.  At least the girls liked it...not so sure about the guys.  It was nice to actually get out and shop...I don't get to do it very often anymore because of things like bills and responsibility, but I decided to treat myself.  : )  I got me some cute new dresses, some necklaces, and a pretty awesome pair of oxfords.  It was nice to get out of town.  That's for sure. 

Today I woke up and was surprised to find that one of the students who RARELY talks to anyone bought doughnuts for all of us.  It was soooo nice!  I'm glad he's starting to get to know people now.  We also made some onigiri and miso soup for dinner.  Onigiri are little triangles made from rice.  You can add various things to them, but the most common are tuna, pickled plums, mayonaise, and seaweed.  There are also various spices you can add.  To make it a little more interesting, we decided to turn it into an English-speaking activity.  We broke the students into 4 groups.  In each of the groups, the students had to explain how to make onigiri, but they could only do so in English.  Also, everyone in the group had to talk.  Any student who spoke Japanese or didn't talk had to face the penalty:  giving a one minute speech in front of everyone in English on a topic of our choice. 

There were only 2 who suffered the penalty.  It was pretty funny.  We had the first guy talk about his favorite shoes and the second guy talk about his favorite music.  Definitely a good way to incorporate some learning.  Although it was fun to make the onigiri, I gotta say I wasn't a fan of the flavor.  Seaweed just kind of tastes like dirty lake water to me.  Good thing I had Subway first. 

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow...or the rest of the week, for that matter.  Soooooooooo much to do.  I just want it to be the weekend again!  We're going to WORLDS OF FUN!! Yay!  Another week of not enough sleep does not sound appealing.  No sleeping in until next Sunday.  *sigh* 

No comments:

Post a Comment