Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Week Five

Well, this post is a bit late considering we're halfway through the 6th week, but oh well.

Better late than never, eh?

Last week was actually pretty relaxing and mostly uneventful.  But personalities are really starting to show.  In Japanese culture, students are reeeeeallly babied.  Their parents do EVERYTHING for them, all the way through school.  They don't have to worry about anything.  This is a pretty noticeable contrast to American culture.  It's every man for himself here.  Once you're 18 or 19, your parents loosen the leash.  This idea is clearly very difficult for some of the students.  They don't want to have to solve any of their own problems, but they have to learn how if they want to survive here.  I just wish I knew how to make them realize that. 

We went to the pool on Saturday.  Despite the fact that I applied sunscreen twice, I got burnt to a CRISP.  It's been four days and it's just starting to heal.  I'm far too white for the sun.  I didn't even get a tan.  I also got to taste some Oyakodon.  The name means "parents and children", which is kind of clever because the dish consists of chicken and egg.  And rice.  It's pretty delicious. 

Last night they put on a miniature concert and it really had a big effect on me.  There were two professors who played and they were amazing, of course.  And then some of the students played instruments.  Two of them played the piano, and one played the saxophone...and they were so GOOD!  It's inspiring to see such talented people, but also somewhat depressing for me.  It makes me feel so inadequate...like I've wasted so much time.  I'm honestly not extraordinarily talented at anything.  The finale of the show was the students singing "Let It Be" by The Beatles.  It was so amazing and adorable.  It made me realize how much I'm going to miss these students when they leave.  As much as I am looking forward to having a day off and sleeping in my own bed, it's going to be tough to say goodbye to them in a couple of weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment